Monday, July 21, 2008

Uncertain

I can’t remember now, from this morning, how I wanted to start this post.

There’s always THE phrase that begins it, na?

I had it, the moment I shook off the shattered glass from the shoot out. At the Ashram flyover. They were chasing Manmohan Singh’s envoy off the road, while guerrilla snipers [they might’ve been Mayawati’s commandos] from distant peripheries shot sleek bullets through tense air.

And where was I going, during curfew hour amid political turmoil? I think either to attend a sanity defying 11-part film at the festival, or a swim. [Don’t we have such an acute sense of juxtaposition, irony and drama? The Greeks really knew their shit.]

Somewhere, an official, high in the ranks plotted with cold precision. They had amputated his conscience gland decades ago. Apparently, it is a compulsory drill when you enrol. Those who don’t survive the operation are, naturally, considered martyred to patriotic duty. And I recollect thinking: so this is why… Why didn’t they tell us before?

Daylight, I’ve decided, creates confusion.

So Manmohan was whizzed away; his quiet, turbaned dignity bundled off in a dark screened, red-light-flashing blur.

A circus set up camp, just off the flyover. They had sharp shooting snipers and fire juggling politicians, bicycle balancing actors and lion taming heroines. A million sycophants thronged the gay canopied gates, and a raging stampede was born. Barkha captured the frenzy with valiant persistence while Renuka Chaudhury juggled offal-shaped slippery words with an experienced glove. Pranoy wielded a joystick in a remote OB van on Lodhi road. And then I saw, the road was crawling with an epidemic of cockroach winged OB vans.

Meanwhile, a sad eyed, blue turbaned fugitive snuck into the laundry room of a crumbling government bungalow in Moti Bagh. Nimbu pani was served and no one spoke. Least of all a shell shocked girl rudely stopped short of a sanity defying 11-part cinematic experience. [Or was it a swim?]

I awoke with the guilt of his downfall on my conscience. The Bhopalis had their best chance with him. Na?

17 comments:

lost said...

"an epidemic of cockroach winged OB vans"-wow that was real good.will put it next to "tv is filled with nubile reporters who believe that history is some thing which began when they joined the news channel"

B Ditty said...

I tried to watch a 6 hour film series once, but I didn't make it through. Probably hurt my chances that it started at midnight.

H said...

Hahahahaha. Lost, this is fantastic. Whose words are these?

Ben, you could've been Odysseus.

pRicky said...

Abhi pikture baki hai mere dost!!!
Manmohan has a chance (still)in the bollywood drama...

H said...

Sahi kahi, Pricky bhai.

NanNan said...

I'm so out of this league,, I can't even recognize the sport-- way too much action for me-- glad to hear you held on to your conscience-- with all that amputation going on---

H said...

Nan, I wouldn't blame you. I'm talking Indian politics + my head = confusion of cosmic proportions.

My conscience is a poncy rat. Too lazy to abandon the ship. Too nervous to take the blow with dignity.

Lizza said...

Sounds like someone had an exciting day...even without the swim. And yes, I agree: the damn Greeks really knew their shit - and then some.

H said...

Liz. Night, more like. Let me explain. Two days ago The PM of India, Manmohan Singh, survived a no-confidence motion by the opposition [who were supported by the present govt.'s allies.]

Manmohan Singh is probably the cleanest PM India's ever had, despite his reticence/ inaction on issues he should've done something about.

So there. I hope it explains this post. 'twas very disturbing: feeling responsible for the less-than-happy state of affairs of an entire nation, even for one iffy night. Can't imagine feeling so screwed five whole years.

Prude said...

post Post POST!

LOST said...

I totally agree. POST!

Rajiv Mudgal said...

Bravenewworld...It could've felt a bit differrrrent:) na, as you said "Too lazy to abandon the ship. Too nervous to take the blow with dignity."

H said...

Rajiv, sorry for the late response. Fun can be distracting. But... how different?

lost said...

H, wait for ur next post has become like d wait for Ms.Roy's
next work of fiction:-

24 frames said...

A really interesting blog... made my day complete.

A Shout out to H said...

H... come BACK come BACK from wherever you are! We miss you and your throbbing, err, well. We miss you a lot.

H said...

Thank you Lost/ Shouter. You've been very kind.